SME Education Foundation is now accepting scholarship applications for students pursuing post-secondary degrees in an engineering discipline closely related to manufacturing or a technology field of study related to manufacturing. Click here for details about our scholarships and to register.
As you prepare for the submission process, consider the following tips when completing your application:
You have probably heard the expression, “the early bird catches the worm,” a phrase many successful people live by. This also applies to completing your scholarship application. Be sure to stay on top of all deadlines and submit your application early! Don’t procrastinate, because you might miss out on some important details and forfeit a rewarding opportunity.
Read Eligibility Requirements Carefully
You should always carefully read the eligibility requirements to make sure you enter the correct information on your application. If you are not sure whether you fit into a particular category or don’t know whether your major is eligible for the SME Education Foundation scholarship, please refer to the Qualifying Majors.
Take time to read directions carefully, follow the guidelines, and answer questions correctly. You will have a better chance of being considered for a scholarship if you follow the instructions outlined on the application.
Include a Good Resume and supporting materials
Your resume should be a brief summary of your education, extra-curricular activities, and accomplishments. An effective resume includes the most important highlights of your background and should not be longer than one page. If you have little or no prior work experience and are not sure what information to include there are several resources such as aie.org/find-a-job/ that can help you build a good resume. Other items that you should be sure to include:
- Reference Letters – ask individuals who can attest to your qualifications to write a reference letter on your behalf. Be sure to get their email addresses, so you can include this contact information in your scholarship application.
- Transcripts – contact your high school or college for your most recent transcript and include with your application. Make this request as soon as possible, because it may take time to get the transcript back from your school.
- Student Statement – include details about why you chose your major, education and career objectives, and how this scholarship will help you achieve your objectives.
Full Details Matter
Don’t forget to include complete details on your application, which will greatly impact whether you will be selected to receive an SME Education Foundation scholarship. Provide as much detail as possible, so the judging committee has all of the information they need to thoroughly evaluate your application.
Review Before You Submit
Check the following prior to hitting the submit button:
- Complete all sections of the application. If you have a question about how to fill in a certain section, contact the scholarship administrator through the message center of the application.
- Check your application for spelling or grammatical errors and fix those immediately.
The application process will close February 1, and winners will be notified in the spring. Don’t forget to register. Good luck!
- Scholarships for Graduating High School Students
- Scholarships for Current Undergraduate Students
- Scholarships for Graduate Students
- Administer Scholarships for Corporations
- Previous Winners
- Quick Tips to Apply for Scholarships
- Complete the Registration Form
- Contact the Scholarship Team
- 2017 Scholarship Winners